Welcome to my blog!

I've actually created a blog! When I first heard about people writing blogs, it didn't appeal to me. I wondered just how fascinating could someone's ongoing editorial chronicling of who knows what be? Well, throw all of that out the window because here it is -- my "Seize the Day (today)" blog. And I've created this for a few reasons, the most important of which is my daughter, Emma.

I can't tell you how many times over the years I've gotten this bright idea to write in a journal and haven't gotten past the first entry. I have a way of romanticizing things. I'd get pulled in by rosy thoughts of the sudden clarity and therapeutic relief I would gain by feverishly putting down on paper the goings-on of my day. Just think, 20 years from now I would look back at all of my wacky days and reminisce, gladly reminding myself that I DID make the most of those times, right? And without fail, those rosy reflections fade and reality sets in I suppose but AFTER the first entry, of course.

Now here I am. Emma has entered my world. The next best thing to an autobiography, in my opinion, can be a blog (I'm thinking all of those first-entry journals just won't suffice). It can be as personal and telling as I would like it to be and some day, maybe my quips will lend her some insight into the mind of her mom. At the very least, I'm striving for some mild entertainment value.

Another reason for the creation of my blog has to do with my blogspot title. I have to be honest, I first heard the phrase "carpe diem" (meaning "seize the day") in the movie, Dead Poets Society. This film is truly inspirational and makes you feel like you just got a good kick in the ass. I can't believe it was released in 1989 and its effects still resonate with me to this day. I have always worked to follow this "seize the day" philosophy in life yet I feel as though I've barely scratched the surface. My hope is that my blog will act as a reminder for taking such action.

This becomes more of a necessity because now more than ever I realize my mortality. After finding my husband, the person I share my dreams with, and introducing a new little life to a world that we as parents are responsible for shaping, a certain gravity hits and the importance of seizing each and every day is that much more eminent. Welcome to my blog. I'm warning you in advance that I expect there to be plenty of random thoughts, juicy tidbits and endearing tales.

Well, here we go...I'm glad you're here and I'm looking forward to the ride!

Friday, August 22, 2008

I'm a Nerd

I've always known I was a nerd. I still am. Once I got through the 80s (with really bad hair, way too much make up and fantasies of hanging backstage with Simon LeBon of Duran Duran) I realized I had been attempting to cover it up (with pegged Bongo jeans and denial, of course). T'was the era. But I digress. It's just that the 80s happened to be during my adolescence when I was trying to "find myself." Those years of pop cheesiness and parachute pants were so captivating! They pulled me in pretty deep when I was most impressionable and I must admit, it took me a while to dig myself out. Definitely nerdy trait number one. (By the way, the picture to the left is from http://yearbookyourself.com/ if you want to do this to your own photo.)

But before the 80s is when I distinctly remember hanging out with my nerd friends on the playground in 4th grade. I think I knew even then that they were nerds but hadn't yet made the connection that that meant I was one, too. We were all the straight "A" students. At least we were smart! This time was particularly memorable because this was when my yearning to be like the popular kids first reared its ugly head. I think it first occurred to me that I wasn't one of the "popular kids" when one of the girls in the chosen crowd for some reason was writing her last will & testament and said she would bequeath me her paper. I was torn in wondering if I should feel honored for being included in her precious will or offended by the fact that she associated me with such an innocuous possession as her paper. Anyway, I think she turned out to be a lesbian.

My mom used to dress me. In such atrocities as Keds (NOT in style then) and white knee-hi socks with gauchos (culottes). If you don't know what those are, there's good reason. But the truly sinful ensemble was the fuchsia colored pants paired with a multi-colored, striped collared shirt that I wore to my piano recital when I was 10. What was I thinking? No, what was my MOM thinking? Nerd trait number two. I was so confused.

By far, these are not the only tales of my challenges. I'm not even going to write about the layered hair cut and perm I donned on my first day of high school. I still haven't come to terms with that. However, I will proudly (and gradually) unveil my many more nerdy qualities as I regain familiarity with them. Writing about and confessing to my nerdiness at this point in time is not solely an attempt to banish all my past efforts to hide it. And I've put forth plenty of effort. My realization has come to the forefront because even years of soul searching have not brought me the amount of clarity I've experienced since having my daughter. It's clarity, even simplicity to a certain degree. I feel no need to bury that part of me or be selective as to whom I show it. What a relief! I suppose I'm learning to embrace my inner geek and rediscovering those traits and interests that made me who I am today. Well, I'm not sure Emma knows what she's in for with having a nerd for a mom. Emma, you have nothing to fear...unless I feel the need to bring my inner 80s fashionista back.

1 comment:

bendevious said...

I will stand up and also admit that I was/am a nerd/geek. I too had trouble with my early school career. I was not into playing football, wrestling, and threatening fights on the playground, rather I was more interested in drawing and playing with legos. I preferred to sit and draw cars or planes during recess while the other kids got dirty. It wasn't until getting involved and elected to student government that I was forced to come out of my shell and integrate into adolescent society.

Even after breaking out of my shell I still retained some definite nerd tendencies. I still love to draw, play with legos, and now I am computer geek. Fortunetly my Blackberry eliminates the need for a pocket protector!