Welcome to my blog!

I've actually created a blog! When I first heard about people writing blogs, it didn't appeal to me. I wondered just how fascinating could someone's ongoing editorial chronicling of who knows what be? Well, throw all of that out the window because here it is -- my "Seize the Day (today)" blog. And I've created this for a few reasons, the most important of which is my daughter, Emma.

I can't tell you how many times over the years I've gotten this bright idea to write in a journal and haven't gotten past the first entry. I have a way of romanticizing things. I'd get pulled in by rosy thoughts of the sudden clarity and therapeutic relief I would gain by feverishly putting down on paper the goings-on of my day. Just think, 20 years from now I would look back at all of my wacky days and reminisce, gladly reminding myself that I DID make the most of those times, right? And without fail, those rosy reflections fade and reality sets in I suppose but AFTER the first entry, of course.

Now here I am. Emma has entered my world. The next best thing to an autobiography, in my opinion, can be a blog (I'm thinking all of those first-entry journals just won't suffice). It can be as personal and telling as I would like it to be and some day, maybe my quips will lend her some insight into the mind of her mom. At the very least, I'm striving for some mild entertainment value.

Another reason for the creation of my blog has to do with my blogspot title. I have to be honest, I first heard the phrase "carpe diem" (meaning "seize the day") in the movie, Dead Poets Society. This film is truly inspirational and makes you feel like you just got a good kick in the ass. I can't believe it was released in 1989 and its effects still resonate with me to this day. I have always worked to follow this "seize the day" philosophy in life yet I feel as though I've barely scratched the surface. My hope is that my blog will act as a reminder for taking such action.

This becomes more of a necessity because now more than ever I realize my mortality. After finding my husband, the person I share my dreams with, and introducing a new little life to a world that we as parents are responsible for shaping, a certain gravity hits and the importance of seizing each and every day is that much more eminent. Welcome to my blog. I'm warning you in advance that I expect there to be plenty of random thoughts, juicy tidbits and endearing tales.

Well, here we go...I'm glad you're here and I'm looking forward to the ride!

Friday, October 3, 2008

Holding My Breath: Scratching the Surface of the Trickle-Down from the Meltdown

I just realized this morning as I read that the House of Representatives voted and passed the $700 billion bail-out plan, that I feel as though I've been "holding my breath." As I let out a sigh (of relief?), I felt the wheels in my mind start turning again. There are many matters in my life that are beyond my control at this point that I've let block my view, slow me down and in some cases, cause me to freeze up. As far as blame goes, I can't point the finger solely at the financial crisis here in the U.S. And I definitely do not believe this bail-out will will be the cure-all. I'm sure it will take some time for the dust to settle and who knows what direction it will take us. The ramifications of this tangled mess have spread like disease and it is unquestionably the source of my many sleepless nights (other than Emma, of course). But, upon deeper examination, I do believe it's been the chain of events leading up to this crisis that continue to baffle me and have led me to a sort of "waiting for the other shoe to drop" thought process.

Joe and I were smack dab in the middle of the sub prime market in its heyday. And from then on, we have been tracking the housing/mortgage market very closely. Like many others, we, too have been directly and hugely affected by the mortgage meltdown. The loss of our jobs and equity in our homes sent us reeling. And from there, the aftershocks have not let up. I've been holding my breath for quite a while.

And so, I am again prompted to recall the reason I chose to start my blog entitled "Seize the Day" -- to remind myself to do exactly that. This space is intended to keep me in check, pushing me to look beneath the surface when it comes to thoughts that cross my mind. It's easy to skim over the details because of the inconvenience of it all -- too much thought and energy put into analyzing and re-analyzing. And when would I find the time?! But it's at times like these that I need to take a closer look at what may be preventing me from seizing the day -- seizing the opportunities that have come my way. More importantly, I must CREATE opportunities. I'm not one to wallow in disappointment yet I can't be the one who freezes up and does nothing, either. Regardless of the situation going on with the economy, (to quote Martha Washington) "I am still determined to be cheerful and happy in whatever situation I may be." It's all up to me to control what I can control and it's game time!

No comments: