Welcome to my blog!

I've actually created a blog! When I first heard about people writing blogs, it didn't appeal to me. I wondered just how fascinating could someone's ongoing editorial chronicling of who knows what be? Well, throw all of that out the window because here it is -- my "Seize the Day (today)" blog. And I've created this for a few reasons, the most important of which is my daughter, Emma.

I can't tell you how many times over the years I've gotten this bright idea to write in a journal and haven't gotten past the first entry. I have a way of romanticizing things. I'd get pulled in by rosy thoughts of the sudden clarity and therapeutic relief I would gain by feverishly putting down on paper the goings-on of my day. Just think, 20 years from now I would look back at all of my wacky days and reminisce, gladly reminding myself that I DID make the most of those times, right? And without fail, those rosy reflections fade and reality sets in I suppose but AFTER the first entry, of course.

Now here I am. Emma has entered my world. The next best thing to an autobiography, in my opinion, can be a blog (I'm thinking all of those first-entry journals just won't suffice). It can be as personal and telling as I would like it to be and some day, maybe my quips will lend her some insight into the mind of her mom. At the very least, I'm striving for some mild entertainment value.

Another reason for the creation of my blog has to do with my blogspot title. I have to be honest, I first heard the phrase "carpe diem" (meaning "seize the day") in the movie, Dead Poets Society. This film is truly inspirational and makes you feel like you just got a good kick in the ass. I can't believe it was released in 1989 and its effects still resonate with me to this day. I have always worked to follow this "seize the day" philosophy in life yet I feel as though I've barely scratched the surface. My hope is that my blog will act as a reminder for taking such action.

This becomes more of a necessity because now more than ever I realize my mortality. After finding my husband, the person I share my dreams with, and introducing a new little life to a world that we as parents are responsible for shaping, a certain gravity hits and the importance of seizing each and every day is that much more eminent. Welcome to my blog. I'm warning you in advance that I expect there to be plenty of random thoughts, juicy tidbits and endearing tales.

Well, here we go...I'm glad you're here and I'm looking forward to the ride!

Monday, September 22, 2008

Milestones: Emma's Firsts

I've never really used the word "milestone" before. In context it seems over-enthusiastic, even cliche and I really haven't had much reason to use it, either. Yet, here I am, once again offering more evidence that motherhood can cause one to see things very differently than those pre-parenthood days. And that's my opener for my overwhelming desire to write about the collection of firsts -- or milestones -- that Emma (Joe and I included) has recently experienced.

It all started on September 13th when we decided to take an impromptu day trip to San Francisco. I'm pretty pleased that Emma's first day trip was to an international city (even though she won't have an inkling of a memory of it). We hit up a funky Caribbean restaurant near Golden Gate Park (she was awake the WHOLE time), shopped and walked down Haight-Ashbury, stroller and all, took in an amazing view of the beach near the Cliff House restaurant (pictured above) and even managed to make it out to a local hole-in-the-wall Mexican restaurant later that evening. We had an absolute blast and Emma was a well-behaved adventurer (we were sure to gather photographic proof as we may need to remind ourselves sometime in the future that it IS possible).

Then we started Mommy and Me "swim" lessons on the 15th. Everyone says that babies take to the water naturally after having been in the womb and I felt it was important to tap into and extend that comfortability by taking Emma to the water at 3 months old. It gets us out of the house to spend some outdoor time together and also involves interaction between her and someone other than her parents. Most importantly it's a great outlet for her boundless energy. She's getting adjusted to what she can and cannot do in the water and as a result has blown bubbles, splashed around and dipped her face -- by accident, of course. I'm sure this is just the beginning of the myriad activities Joe and I will expose her to.

September 20th was yet another adventure of sorts. We took Emma to get her ears pierced. As much as I envisioned putting some beautiful diamond studs in her virgin ears, I had to abstain. For one because I don't even have a pair of diamond studs! All kidding aside, I felt weak in the knees when we walked through the entrance of Claire's in the mall. We got up to the counter where the mean piercing gun sat and I thought, "I don't think I can do this!" I started to imagine the blood curdling cries that would accompany her bright red face and infamous (and absolutely heart warming) pouty bottom lip sticking out as she stared us right in the eyes with a look that begs to know why we did this to her. I feared I would never forget the horrible sound and tortuous image. And I was right. Joe and I were terrified. But we all managed to get through it and it didn't take Emma long before she stopped crying. Of course, Joe flying her through the store and then through the mall as Super Baby helped tremendously. I do believe her ears were made for earrings. She makes them look GOOD.

No comments: